Saturday, May 19, 2012

Marketing Intro

Because I have no experience in marketing, I thought I would begin my first blog post with my amateur observations. I have worked for many small businesses in Bigfork and Kalispell Montana. One of my first jobs was for a business called The Apple Trolley selling gourmet carmel apples.  Sounds like a great place right? While the business is still profitable, I noticed the difficulty of reading their sign and advertisements caused a hindrance for the business. While being adorable, the sign was difficult for many to read from a distance, confusing people as to what the business was for.


However large this sign could be, it still wasn't reaching out to consumers. 

Another business that had to leave Kalispell, but has been able to survive in Great Falls, is called the Popcorn Colonel. They had a great location on main street in Kalispell but had to relocate. Their new location would not allow for advertisements or signs on the main road and the location was tucked way back into an area where people would not normally travel. After just a few months the business had to close because of their lack of customers. 


Overall, this shows how the combination of the distribution and promotion variable in the marketing mix can greatly affect even very small businesses.  

No comments:

Post a Comment